The city of Portland is home to many dog lovers. A recent study has revealed that Portland has the highest number of dog parks than any other city in America. This goes on to show how much Portlanders cherish their canine companions.
However, these canine friends have the potential to become vicious, causing them to attack or bite other people. Dog attacks often result in grave injuries, especially when it involves children or the elderly. In the worst cases, these attacks can even lead to death.
Portland, Oregon Dog Bite Rule
Basically, under the Oregon State laws, dog owners are responsible for the injuries their dogs inflict on other people. However, the dog bite statute has an unusual limitation. The rule implements strict liability regarding compensating victims only for financial loss.
If a victim is to access total compensation for pain and suffering, emotional stress e.t.c, they will have to prove the negligence of the dog owner. Proving negligence involves showing that the dog owner violated certain animal control laws. Also, it includes revealing that the dog owner knew about the vicious nature of their dog towards others.
Having to prove these things can be technical. That is the reason an individual will need to seek the assistance of a skilled Portland dog bite attorney. The attorney will help the individual maneuver their way through the legal processes to get them their full compensation.
Tips To Prevent Dog Bites
You can follow some tips to avoid or lower the chances of a dog attack or bite. These tips include:
- Avoid approaching a strange dog without the owner’s supervision, especially when the dog is tied to a spot or in a confined space.
- Do not go near any dog that is eating, sleeping, or protective of something.
- Avoid teasing, chasing, hitting, or poking a dog.
- Do not touch a dog without the permission of its owner.
- Never leave a dog and a child together without supervision.
What To Do After A Dog Bite
You need to know the next line of action to take after experiencing a dog bite in the city of Portland. This will help you to ensure that you do not miss out on compensation for the traumatic event you have experienced.
Here are the steps to take:
- Seek medical attention for the injury sustained.
- Call the police or animal control.
- Note the description of the dog. This includes the size, markings, name, etc.
- Take pictures of the injury sustained.
- Obtain contact details of the dog owner.
- Get the contact details of witnesses.
- Avoid giving a statement to any insurance company that approaches you
- Contact an experienced Portland dog bite attorney as soon as possible.
Common Injuries Associated With Bites
Generally, dog attacks can result in different kinds of injuries, and these injuries vary according to their severity. Some dog bites can lead to permanent scars or damage to the tissue. These are some common dog bite injuries:
- Broken bones
- Puncture wounds
- Face injury
- Damage to the nerves
- Rabies and other infections
There are some particular instances where an aggressive dog might not bite you but knock you down while running away. If you suffered injury as a result of this, you might still be entitled to compensation.
Types Of Compensation For Dog Bite Injuries
You can pursue compensation for different reasons depending on how the incident affected you. These are some of the reasons:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Surgical treatments
- Psychological treatment for the emotional trauma
- Lost wages regarding the inability to engage in daily activities
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability or disfigurement
- Diminished quality of life
Contact A Portland Dog Bite Attorney
Carrying out investigations to establish the negligence of a dog owner requires a high level of skill. Unfortunately, this may be a task you might not be able to perform because of your lack of experience in handling dog bites injury cases.
However, with the aid of an experienced Portland dog bite attorney, you can easily establish negligence and get your total compensation. If you have sustained an injury from a dog attack, contact Bannon Law Firm today. We will work closely with you to secure the compensation you deserve.